Board index Security Anti-virus and Anti-malware Software MalwareBytes can't remove adware On My Computer

MalwareBytes can't remove adware On My Computer

This forum is to discuss and give you review and support of various Anti-virus, Anti-Malware, and other associated applications.

Topic Starter

Charlotte

Hi,

There are three extensions installed on my computer without notifying me. There are ads all over the place and the extensions keep coming up. I want all of these REMOVED. I tried Malwarebytes but it doesn't work. I restarted my computer and the extensions and ads are still there. I'm getting angry and irritated at this Malwarebytes program. I pressed apply changes and put them to quarantine and the files are STILL THERE. I'm so angry right now I want them OFF my computer now. Do you think I have a fake Malwarebytes installed? What can I do to get rid of those extensions?

I think your Malwarebytes is genuine. Though Malwarebytes is an anti-malware, it's not all-mighty to remove all adware.

To prevent those 3 extensions from coming back again and again, you need to go to uninstall their related adware programs in Control Panel. After that, you can go to remove them from your browser.

If you can't uninstall them, you can try uninstalling in safe mode.

Topic Starter

Charlotte

OMG, there are lots of them. I start my computer in safe mode and uninstalled all of them. I also removed all extensions from my Chrome. Now it seems to work fine. Hope those nasty ads will not come back any more :evil:

Glad to hear that! Stay safe :D

Try the following steps:

1. Remove all unwanted add-ons from your browsers.

Internet Explorer:
Press Alt+X and go to Manage add-ons.
Go to Toolbars and Extensions, and remove all unknown add-ons.
Click Search Providers on the left.

Mozilla Firefox:
Press Ctrl+Shift+A to open the Add-ons Manager tab.
You should be on the Extensions menu; remove all unknown extensions. Close the tab.

Google Chrome:
Press Alt+F and scroll over Tools.
Go to Extensions and remove all unfamiliar extensions.

2. Clean all temporary files and redirect virus related files.
Go to the following path and clean all temporary files.
C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
In the following folders, find out and remove any suspicious files.
%Temp%\
%AllUsersProfile%\
%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\

3. Delete all malicious registry entries.
Click on the Start menu, type “regedit” into the search box and click “regedit.exe” from the result list.
In the registry editor, search for and delete all malicious registry entries from your computer.

Return to Anti-virus and Anti-malware Software