Board index Operating Systems Windows 8 How to Stop Windows 8.1 Update Notification?

How to Stop Windows 8.1 Update Notification?

Please discuss, ask questions, and give answers for Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system in this forum!

Topic Starter

AnnL

Hi. Right after I boot up the computer, I get an annoying Windows 8.1 update prompt which I find no way to stop because I don’t want to update now. It takes me quite a while to get used to Windows 8 and I rather stick with it right now. I don’t have that time sitting around and waiting the update to complete. Anyone knows how to prevents this notice show up automatically?

The quick way is to agree to update the system straight away. Windows 8.1 looks pretty much the same to the old one so you don’t need to struggle to adjust to it. Plus, as far as I know, the security updates for Windows 8 has stopped. It’s safer to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Just hit the Go to Store button and you will be able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 free. This helps free you from this hassle immediately.

Press WIN+R keys and type gpedit.msc in the Run box. Hit Enter. The Group Policy Editor will open up. Click Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store. Move to the right, double-click on "Turn off the offer to update to the latest version of Windows" option and set its value to "Enabled". This will disable the update notice. But, as it’s already mentioned, the security update for Windows 8 has stopped. It’ll take much longer for you deal with whatever happens if your machine is under attack. So, the update option sounds like a winner.

Return to Windows 8